Thursday, August 4, 2011

Introduction to A Life Beyond Money

Welcome to A Life Beyond Money. My goal with this blog is to share my experiences in a new way of living. Most of the world is controlled by money and the process of attaining it. Most people are called consumers, but are, in fact, themselves being consumed.  Most of the world runs on gasoline. Most people hate their jobs.

Until a few years ago, I was one of them. I worked in finance and hated it. Then I worked in retail and hated it. I had stuff and spent a great deal of time shopping but was not happy. I've worked many jobs, always with the hopes of someday making enough money to buy my own happiness from Big Box Stores (BBS), but the price was always too high.

Today, I am but a lowly baker. I make dramatically less money now than if I had stuck with the obvious choice of career, but I like it.

I used to eat fast food because it was, well, fast. Today I eat amazing meals. I used to buy lots of stuff that ended up just filling my home until I could barely move. Today I have small collections of books that I read over and over, of music that I love to sing with, and of yarn to make lots of gifts for friends and family. I used to shop for stuff at the Evil Place (BBS). Now I acquire things I need from friends, yard sales, thrift stores, craigslist, bartering, dumpsters, antique stores and of my own creation.

There is a life beyond money. There is a way to live in which the contents of your wallet have little effect on your quality of life. Your life is not owned by your neighbors, your employer, your government, or the corporate giants. It is yours to make what you want.

I hope to show you a way to  get out of the loop of want stuff>work long hours>buy stuff>need more. You'll find tips to cut back on waste, cut expenses, eat good food, entertain yourself and all sorts of strange pastimes. Whether you are interested in frugal living, self sufficiency, simple living, anti-consumerism, self employment, environmental responsibility or just a less stressful life, I'm sure you'll find something useful.

Happy living.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...