Monday, November 24, 2014

This Week...Beyond Money 11/17 - 11/23

For me, a life beyond money is making choices so that you can live the best possible life, regardless of your income level. Obviously, you have to make a living, but there are many ways to improve your quality of life without increasing your income levels and correspondingly your expenses. This regular post will be some of the ways that we improve our quality of life beyond just trying to make more money.

Gardening:
* Trucker brought home a 5 gallon bucket of coffee grounds. The snow was completely covering the ground, so I just dumped it over the bed. Not ideal, but I suppose just getting it onto the bed is better than nothing, even if it's not evenly worked in. There's time for that in spring.
* Lots of true leaves on the greens in the salad container. They grow really slow at first, especially since this container is in a North-facing window. Once they get to baby green size, though, I'll be able to snip individual leaves as needed.


* I planted 4 small containers to greens to put in a south-facing window. I didn't get to it as soon as I did last year, but better late than never. I planted one container to Sweet Genovese Basil, another to arugula, another to cress and the last to mustard. By planting a variety of types, I can get an instant salad mix as I harvest the larger leaves individually from all the pots.




Cooking/Groceries:
* I found a great bargain on bulk sausage. It was on sale for $2.50/1 lb package (Marked down from $4). At this price I would have stocked up on a few pounds. I had coupons for $1/2 packages. I bought 8 packages at $2/lb. This is by far the cheapest I ever find ground meat around here. Usually the best I find is $3. Each pound will be used for making (at least) two different meals, with leftovers for another two meals, so the cost per meal is $.50/person. We will also use tiny bits of leftovers for pizza toppings or to put into omelets where just a little bit adds enough. We made sausage gravy the first night over bacon cheddar scallion scones from Trucker's job (free since they were day old)

Food Preservation:
* Dehydrated 6 dehydrators worth of apples, peel on.

Fun:
* Trucker found a free concert for us to go to in the next neighborhood over. It was a tribute band to one of my favorite bands (that I will never, ever get to see in person). The band was good, we had a lot of fun, and the drinks cost us $6 total.

Nature:
* Does admiring the snow from inside sipping hot cocoa count?

Frugality:
* We paid off two of our loans. This frees up $175/month to put towards other debts/savings. We are knocking off a few small loans then putting that money towards other debts to knock them down.We are hoping within a year and a half to be free of all debt except for the mortgage. We pay extra onto the principle of the mortgage every single month.
* Paid extra onto the car loan. It's a very low interest loan, and we are focusing more on paying down other debts, but I wanted to throw a little something extra towards it.
* We have been squirreling away a large portion of Trucker's tip money into savings.
* I used a coupon when buying cat food to buy 5 get 5 free. It's a brand the cat likes and the cost was less for the nicer brand than for store brand. Eventually, I want to get her onto a whole-foods diet, but first need to get us onto a completely whole-foods diet! (Since we are on a limited budget, we are taking baby steps and learning to do things ourselves. This spring we are going to get into meat raising, and at that time, we will start weaning her onto the parts that we don't eat)

Waste Reduction:
* Used the apple cores leftover from dehydrating apples to make another batch of vinegar.

Work:
* Trucker brought home some free day-old goods: 2 english muffins, 3 scones, several bagels, and a piece of coffee cake. We slice the bagels to use in place of bread with dinner and the scones and english muffins make a good breakfast. We'll split the coffee cake for dessert one night. Sometimes we give away bagels to family members if we see them.

Preparedness:
* Put 8 jars of dehydrated apples into storage.

Future:
* I worked on my book a little very day.

Health:
* Went for a run on a bitterly cold day. It was 19 degrees. I bundled up and went for a run anyway. I cut it a bit short, but was still proud of myself for doing it.

What did you do this week?

Shared on:
Wordless Wednesday Hop!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...