Tuesday, November 18, 2014
This Week...Beyond Money 11/10 - 11/16
* Not much to do now. I'm already missing it desperately. We got a heavy snow fall late Sunday night, so everything is blanketed now.
* Harvested some more lettuce seed from the front-garden containers. I have about a packet's worth now. It's not saving me a lot of money, but I'm learning and hopefully over time will end up with the best lettuce seeds for my microclimate.
* Didn't grocery shop at all this week. Ate from the pantry and freezer.
* Made pork stock from leftover bones and loads of veggie scraps. It's delicious and practically free.
* Dehydrated lemon peels to use in making syrup later in the winter.
* A musician friend of ours hooked us up with discounted tickets to see the symphony. Tickets were $12 instead of $50. We were beyond thrilled. It was one of the nicest nights out I've had in a long time. I was wide-eyed and smiling the entire time.
* We went for a hike at a local state park. It was a 5 mile hike around a lake. We off trailed a bit, so we went around 6 miles. With the autumn colors, and just enough leaf fall for great views, it was breathtaking.
* Avoided shopping as much as possible.
* Switched health insurance for a savings of $50/month, plus lower costs when we use it.
* Planned to use leftovers in other meals to avoid waste.
* Rinsed cans of salsa, tomato sauce and enchilada sauce and put in the Trash Chili container in the freezer. I almost have enough to make a batch.
* Cooked with animal fats saved from cooking other dishes and making stock.
* Trucker picked up an extra shift so we could have a little more money to put towards visiting a sick family member out of state.
* We packed our lunches instead of buying something. I drank free coffee in the break room.
* Trucker brought home english muffins and scones from his job that were expired. Absolutely delicious, even though they were day old.
* I signed up for our insurance at my new job. We were on a private plan through the marketplace. Even with our subsidy, we were spending a lot for a really bad plan (and just got a notice saying that in the new year it would go up by $30+/month). The insurance at my job is fabulous with a much lower deductible. It includes health, dental, prescription, vision, life and disability insurance for $50/month less than our old plan would cost us (for just really bad health, dental and vision insurance).
* Winterized the vehicles. Put blankets in the cars just in case. Also put in a couple granola bars for emergencies or just in case we forget our lunches for work. I get granola/protein bars for less than a dime at the salvage grocer so this is cheaper than anything we could buy for lunch.
* Every day on my lunch break I've been writing on my book. I am getting in the habit of writing daily. Even just writing on my lunch break every day would add up to around 60,000 words a year.